Tutor Profile: William Fraser
My first introduction to drumming was seeing the Buddy Rich big band on tv, from that moment on I was hooked. My drumming career began at the age of 12 with the pipe bands, where I received a good grounding in rudimental drumming and won many solo drumming events.
In order to expand my drumming I performed and studied drumming in various other fields of music involving drum kit and hand percussion, playing with local function bands and in jazz and cabaret shows.
I have 18yrs experience as a Military musician (Group Leader drums/ percussion) in the South African Defence Force, performing at all military and state functions, as a band member and solo performer. Highlights included:
When in SA I led my own percussion group “DRUMCODE” who performed at various festivals throughout the country. I also recorded and toured with the Gospel group “HEBRON”. More recently I have been performing at various Celtic festivals and workshops in Italy.
- Composing and performing drum salute for Nelson Mandela’s 80th birthday celebrations.
- Several Edinburgh Military Tattoos including the Queen Mothers 100th birthday celebrations.
- South African solo drumming champion 1982, 1994, 2004, 2005.
- Original founder member who drew up and created the nationally used IDMAC evaluation syllabus.
- Presented training workshops and seminars for the S.A.N.D.F as well as the Pipe Band Association of South Africa.
I specialise in all forms of rudimental drumming and pipe band drumming at all levels. My approach to teaching is to present a more creative way rather than a mechanical approach to the drum rudiments, to enable the student to utilize them in a musical way, also stimulate their imagination and creativity so he/she can add these tools to their tool box, to become a more complete drummer , no matter what style/level they aspire to perform at.
I feel the Drumsense programme is a structured and essential tool in the process of development for all aspiring drummers.
Teaching location: East Kilbride
Phone 1: 01355 523507
Phone 2: 07902 804771
Back to tutors in Scotland